Croosade Privacy Statement

Heisenberg

Administrator
Staff member
Dear Croosaders,

It has come to our attention that recently, rumors have been going around that our client (or the "hack shield" part of it) grossly invades user privacy. In this thread, we would like to give you a transparent overview of which details we collect and what we consider off-limits. First, I'll provide some technical details of the dos/don'ts, while in the second half Taboo offers an explanation as to how such rumors may come to be in the first place (apart from simply wanting to damage our reputation).

Croosade's client-sided monitoring happens inside the confines of the client, meaning, we check whether memory has been tampered with, what libraries have been injected and so on. We do not snoop around in other processes and do not send lists of active processes or anything like that to our server - with the exception of doing targeted searches for known cheating tools such as Cheat Engine and reporting to the server whether such a tool has been found running.

Our client furthermore does not access any files except the game files itself. We have no reason (and, more importantly, no wish) to inspect your browser history, Windows registry or any other parts of your system that may contain highly personal information about you. The same goes for any keyboard inputs you make while playing the game - nothing is recorded or in any way sent to the server apart from the normal function of the game.

On the server side, we record the details you provide us with when you sign up. Passwords in all of our databases are stored as a salted hash. We do not record ingame chats (whether it be map chat, whispers, guilds, you name it) as a general rule. If you've been around for a while, you may have seen that if someone tells us "check what he said in the map log", we are unable to do so. We do have the option to log messages sent by individual players, but this is something that has to explicitly be toggled on and we use it very rarely, e.g., if we have reason to suspect the player is abusing an exploit.
What we do record is the flow of all items and mesos ingame and what you spend your Credits on. We also store the most recently logged in IP addresses and Hardware IDs for each account - this is mainly to track cheaters using multiple accounts and keeping them banned from the game, but also for inspecting cases of account theft.

From vast experience in the field I can tell you that our methods are very benign, much more so than one can say of most commercial games (and this explicity includes Nexon Inc.).

Taboo said:
We suspect these rumors may stem from our banning rate when it comes to RMTers and botters. I have spent the better part of the last year inspecting and familiarizing myself with in-game logs. So much so, I have to explain in detail some very complex cases to the admins.

Since I do not provide my proof publicly, I can see why someone would start spreading false information around. The reason I do not share my proof with the public is to make investigations easier. If I started detailing my investigations, then the rule breakers would take note and try their best to work around it. There are no secret techniques I use that violate your privacy, nor would I approve of such things. I always preach about how much we respect privacy and I would not stand for it if they violated yours.

I hope we were able to alleviate some of your concerns. We take your privacy very seriously, and this is a value that is shared unanimously among our team.

If you have any questions or concerns about this matter, you are always welcome to bring them up to us.

Kind regards and thank you for your attention,
-Croosade Staff

Nakurusa

IGN
Milk

Heisenberg

Administrator
Staff member
I guess this seems a bit relevant so I'll bump a thread I made a while ago since it still happens:
https://www.croosade.com/forum/threads/website-getting-blocked-because-of-trojan-warning.6937/
This may be because the Client hosted in the site (which leads to false positives), maybe the whole site got flagged as "virus" because of that.
Yeah, it's because of the client. Sometimes it gets flagged by random anti-virus software (usually it's not even one of the big "reputable" ones) and then other software (such as that AdGuard you mentioned in the thread) flags it as well. It happens because the AV sees that the client injects code into other processes (in our case MapleStory), which I guess can be seen as malicious in certain instances. Lately I feel like it's been getting flagged much less often, so that's good.
I've been meaning to follow up on your thread but never got to it, let's continue this particular discussion there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)