in case i might comeback, is there any progress in the latency issues?

skhds

Best answers
i think i saw a post related to that here, people like me who are far away from the servers have really high ping

i know that high pings aren't really fixable, but i think i saw somewhere that other servers make it a little more playable by allowing inputs to interleave

after playing for a few hours, it felt like the control sequence for this server was like

input from client -> lock inputs until server acknowledgement -> release lock after updating status

so when i use a potion, i have to wait all the delay if i want to use a skill right after. this makes the gameplay kind of rough

i believe this can be solved by allowing simultaneous input (hence, interleaving), then re-ordering at the server for correct results, then sending back the info to the client. so the order of sequence would be like:

potion input -> skill input -> server receives inputs in any order (by the nature of network packets) -> re-orders them along with server status -> sends results to client

that way, the delay between potion input and the skill input can be eliminated. re-ordering might be hard, but it's a technique used for CPU's, so i think it might be possible in some ways

of course, i'm just making a lot of assumptions here, i hardly know anything about managing servers, i just want to know if any similar methods i mentioned is possible, or is just depreciated for other reasons (more vulnerable to hacking or bugs i guess?)

HighKey21

Best answers
IGN
Rawr21
The latency issues might also have to do with how long ago the server was restarted. If you type @info while in game you can figure out how long it was, and maybe if it's been a decent amount of time; they'll actually restart it if you ask them to.

skhds

Best answers
It's not really the latency themselves, it's kind of obvious that I'll have latency issues from where I live. I just thought that there could be a workaround so that high pings affect your gameplay less, but I wasn't sure if it was actually implementable.

Tommy

Web Administrator
Staff member
Best answers
If there is such a lock, this could be possible. However, depending on how the lock is implemented in the client it can be a lot of work. Also one should ask for what reason the lock is there and if removing it doesn't break other things.
@Heisenberg might be able to tell you more.

The better fix would probably be load balancing but it's not really possible with our current host.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)