Running Croosade on Windows, macOS, and Linux

Heisenberg

Administrator
Staff member
Windows
Windows
Downloads required:
1. Download both the Client and the Setup.
2. Locate the two downloads. They will most likely be in your Downloads folder.
3. Open the MSSetupv92.exe.

4. Select where you would like the new folder located and click install.

5. Be patient while the game installs all of the required files.

6. Once the installation is complete, Drag and Drop your Croosade.exe into the newly installed folder.

7. Double click Croosade.exe, then wait for the client to update.

8. After the client updates then you should be all set!

macOS
Downloads required:
Open the xQuartz download.
Click Continue

Click Continue

Click Continue

Click Agree

Click Install

xQuartz will begin installing.

After installation is complete you may close this window.
Select Wine Staging (note: Screenshots say Wine Stable, but we now suggest Wine Staging).

Open the Wine download.
Click Continue

Click Install

After Wine has been installed successfully you may close the window.
Must CLICK Agree or Disagree then PRESS the ENTER key.

Confirm the folder is the desired path, CLICK Install then PRESS the ENTER key.

The setup will begin installing files.

CLICK OK then PRESS the ENTER key.
Access Terminal in the macOS desktop search bar.

Type:
Code:
open ~/.wine
and press ENTER

You will see a "drive_c" folder inside .wine. Click it.

Locate the Nexon folder and open it.

Locate the Maplestory folder and open it.

You will now need to Drag and Drop the Croosade.exe into this folder.

Right click Croosade.exe, hover over Open With, select Other.

Search for the program Wine in the search bar on the top right, Select Wine Stable, Tick the "Always Open With" box ON

Right click Croosade.exe, hover over Open With, select Wine Stable.

If this is the first time you are running an .exe file with Wine, you may be asked to download Gecko and Mono.
Yes to Gecko
No to Mono

Click Open

The game will now begin downloading the most current update to the server.

Linux
Downloads required:
1. Use your distribution's package manager to obtain Wine (e.g. apt-get for Debian-based distributions like Ubuntu, pacman for Arch Linux-based distributions like Manjaro). If an updated wine-staging (v3.4+) is available for your distribution, you can install that instead for improved compatibility.
2. The steps for installing Croosade are pretty much identical to the macOS ones (see Setup Installation Walkthrough and Client Installation and Launching).
  • If you have sound issues or see Wine complaining about libmpg123.so.0, you might need to additionally install the lib32-mpg123 package.
  • If you have a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus technology and you want to run Croosade on the NVIDIA GPU instead of Intel, you might have to run it with "optirun wine Croosade.exe" through the command line.

Last edited:

Preszja

EDIT: Croosade does not work with wine versions higher than 3.7 (the thread starter should probably specify that). Since your package manager likely supplies either wine 3.0 (too old) or the latest wine (too new), your best bet is probably PlayOnLinux, which will allow you to easily install whatever wine version you want (3.7).

Yes, thank you! This works great (tested on Arch Linux, kernel version 4.15.3, wine version 3.2). I thought I'd give a few extra tips, especially targeted towards GNU/Linux users.

I recommend doing all of this inside of a clean, exclusive (i.e. you don't do/have anything else in it) wine prefix. A wine prefix is just what you call the fake Windows environment that wine sets up, including all hard disk contents and registry contents. By default, this is just ~/.wine, so I recommend making one exclusively for Croosade. It's pretty easy.

First, make a directory to be the prefix (don't actually type the $s, that's just the shell prompt):

Bash:
$ cd
$ mkdir .croosade

Then, to start installation, we want to run the setup executable. Let's say you downloaded the executables into $DOWNLOAD_DIR. Whenever wine is invoked, it looks at your $WINEPREFIX environment variable to see what wine prefix you want, and like I said, if you don't specify it will just use ~/.wine (I assume you've already installed wine from your package manager):

Bash:
$ cd $DOWNLOAD_DIR                                                                                                
$ export WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.croosade"                                                                             
$ wine MSSetupv92.exe

Wine will probably have to set up some stuff, so just say "yes" to whatever things it thinks you may need to install. Once that is finished, you'll see the installer window pop up and you can follow the instructions under "Setup Installation Walkthrough" in the original post.

Now that it's installed, we need to get the Croosade client executable in the right spot. I use chmod here first for consistency with the rest of the game files; it probably doesn't actually matter:

Bash:
$ chmod 755 Croosade.exe                                                                                          
$ mv Croosade.exe ~/.croosade/drive_c/Nexon/MapleStory

We can also get rid of the installer now:

Bash:
$ rm MSSetupv92.exe

Now, I recommend making an alias in your .bashrc or something so that you don't have to type this out every time you launch the game:

Bash:
$ WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.croosade" wine ~/.croosade/drive_c/Nexon/MapleStory/Croosade.exe

If you're not sure how to do that, just open up ~/.bashrc in your favorite text editor and copy & paste the following onto its own line at the end of the file:

Bash:
alias croosade='WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.croosade" wine ~/.croosade/drive_c/Nexon/MapleStory/Croosade.exe'

Assuming you use bash for your shell, this will work the next time you launch a terminal session, or you can just run source ~/.bashrc to make it take effect in your current shell.

And if you want the croosade alias the launch the game without being attached to the terminal you launch it from (beware this sends all stderr to /dev/null, so there could be error messages you're missing out on), then use this instead:

Bash:
alias croosade='WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.croosade" wine ~/.croosade/drive_c/Nexon/MapleStory/Croosade.exe &>/dev/null & disown'

Last edited:
I've already installed and played this game on my win10 pc. trying to get it on my macbook. While following the instructions, i was able to install wine and the other stuff. but after I downloaded the client, I tried to double click it and it gave this error message "The contents of this file "MSSetupv92.exe" cannot be extracted with this program. Did I do something wrong? The guide didn't give any specifics regarding how to install the client.

Heisenberg

Administrator
Staff member
I've already installed and played this game on my win10 pc. trying to get it on my macbook. While following the instructions, i was able to install wine and the other stuff. but after I downloaded the client, I tried to double click it and it gave this error message "The contents of this file "MSSetupv92.exe" cannot be extracted with this program. Did I do something wrong? The guide didn't give any specifics regarding how to install the client.
You need to right click the file and use "Open With". Check the "Client Installation and Launching" spoiler.

Bickzi

Hi, i got this issue on mac, i use Wine thing, work with all my other game running on .exe, but for Croosade, it say that
Capture d’écran 2018-03-11 à 19.07.25.png
Any idea ? (i placed it in the correct folder btw, MapleStory.exe is just under Croosade.exe)

(helped on Discord)

Last edited by a moderator:
This guide is not working for me on my Mac computer. When I try to open the v92 setup exe with wine it opens just fine. However, upon opening to the Agree/Disagree page of Nexon's ToU, none of the buttons work-not even the x in the upper right corner. I do not receive any error messages. I would love to play this server, I think I've followed the instructions to par.
Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 10.26.11 PM.png

Heisenberg

Administrator
Staff member
Please read the guide carefully.
Must CLICK Agree or Disagree then PRESS the ENTER key.
It only works if you press Enter on your keyboard. It's a bug in Wine.

shaye

is it bad if I installed mono? it asked me if I wanted to before it was brought up in the installation guide so I just assumed i needed to. i can still run the game though

Heisenberg

Administrator
Staff member
is it bad if I installed mono? it asked me if I wanted to before it was brought up in the installation guide so I just assumed i needed to. i can still run the game though
No problem at all, it just takes up some more space on your disk.

feeohnuh

Hi there! After typing ~/.wine in the terminal, I get the message: No such file or directory. Confirmed I have wine installed... any ideas?

Nvm! Got it to work by just skipping that step and just searching for the drive_c folder, and then proceeding from there.

Last edited:

Alina

hi maybe try the command 'open ~/.wine' instead of just '~/.wine' in the terminal next time..
good luck :)

feeohnuh

Unfortunately that didn't work either. Neither did ensuring there was a space between open and ~. Never the less, it was very easy to bypass that step. Thank you!

Technics

Hi there! After typing ~/.wine in the terminal, I get the message: No such file or directory. Confirmed I have wine installed... any ideas?

Nvm! Got it to work by just skipping that step and just searching for the drive_c folder, and then proceeding from there.

have the same problem here! how did u solved it? :(

feeohnuh

have the same problem here! how did u solved it? :(
Click "Finder," and then search for "drive_c" in the search bar. I had it under the "This Mac" tab, but it could just be in "All Files". Then proceed to all the other steps from there!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)