Website getting blocked because of Trojan warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechly

Active member
Joined
Nov 21, 2018
Messages
199
Likes
105
IGN
Mechly
#1
I tried accessing the website (and forums) on my phone and AdGuard blocked them because of the presence of a Trojan, then on Windows MalwareBytes also identifies the same problem. I tried online virus scanners but none seemed to detect anything.
I have never seen any of these messages on any websites so I'm wondering if there's information about why this happens.
 

Heisenberg

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 9, 2017
Messages
782
Likes
1,990
#2
Sorry that this has been left sitting here for so long.
Do you know if it still gets blocked by both AdGuard and MalwareBytes? As I said on the other thread, it happens pretty much randomly because the client gets flagged for its injection behavior.
 

Tommy

Web Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
168
Likes
453
#3
Is it the whole website or only one subpage (probably the download page) which gets blocked?
 

Mechly

Active member
Joined
Nov 21, 2018
Messages
199
Likes
105
IGN
Mechly
#4
It still gets blocked by AdGuard (had it happen 2 days ago and had to renew permission). MalwareBytes I only had installed briefly but I can check again later.
Pretty sure the whole website is blocked though. First time it was when I accessed croosade.com, now 2 days ago I went straight to /vote and it happened.
I have enabled complete logs on AdGuard and the only thing it seems to complain about right now is Google Analytics, perhaps there's some implementation issues there? Because obviously a lot of websites use that and I have never had any blocked.
It'd be weird if AdGuard (which is just an ad blocker) were to be scanning the whole website and the client itself but it's also possible you guys made it on to their database of unsafe websites and you're just there now, just like it's possible for MalwareBytes and AdGuard to share their database for unsafe sites (since again, even for MalwareBytes I'm not sure it'd go about scanning entire websites like that on the go).
I can't seem to find what setting I need to clear to have the block message show up again on AdGuard so I can read the logs, so I might reinstall the app later to get a better picture.
Post automatically merged:

@Tommy
@Heisenberg
So today it triggered again, now on a random forum post, I looked into the logs and nothing different from when I normally browse the site.
The issue is indeed Google Analytics, I even accessed the file itself and AdGuard triggered on it.
Again, this feels like odd implementation issue as no other site triggers this warning.

 
Last edited:

Tommy

Web Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
168
Likes
453
#5
I doubt there's anything wrong with the implementation of Google Analytics as there isn't really anything you can do wrong about it. To be honest, the ad blocker (or at least the filter rule) you're using here is shit. As you can read yourself, it doesn't block our site but the request to Google Analytics. And as it tells you, you have a filter rule which blocks it. Not sure why this only happens on Croosade for you but it has nothing to do with our site.

I don't know if it is a default rule of Adguard or if you added it yourself but there's no reason to block Google Analytics as long as it uses anonymization as our implementation does. This will only block you from sites but won't make a site owner remove it because it's too important for SEO. If someone is really concerned about privacy, then there's better ways to protect it. In general it's not cool to use ad blockers because ads are important for many sites to keep their services running, however, this of course is your decision.
 
Last edited:

Mechly

Active member
Joined
Nov 21, 2018
Messages
199
Likes
105
IGN
Mechly
#6
What really lead me to make the thread was that MalwareBytes was getting triggered too, but unfortunately they no longer offer web protection on their trial version so I have no way to check its logs now.
Adguard did indeed have issues with Google Analytics in the past (as far as I could search, back in 2014, but that was supposedly fixed) and it's also entirely possible that an update of some filter has blocked Google Analytics now and has never been fixed.
Croosade being the only site affected though is odd, if you don't believe there's any issues here then I suppose there's really no issue here, I wasn't necessarily concerned for my security on Croosade (but I sure as hell am in other sites, especially with my pretty outdated phone) but thought all this together was worth mentioning, especially for other users who might come across the same thing and be left wondering about why it's happening.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top